This second version of the diagram illustrating technical career tracks reflects the following updates since version one:
- A product management track is now included. (Future updates may include other tracks like design, editorial and marketing.)
- There is no longer a contributor-level position on the people-management track. This is because most organizations do not have an entry-level position whose main job is to manage people yet is below the manager level.
- The number of levels is still 5, but the two contributor levels below manager have been merged into one. The C-level (as in CEO, CTO, CFO, …) band has been added above the VP levels.
- The director-level position in the technology track is now called principal architect or simply principal.
- In the people management track, it is suggested that a manager directly supervise at least 3 contributors and that a director supervise at least 3 managers. Exceptions can be made to this guideline when it is well-justified, but these are suggested as the default requirement to hold these titles.